Saturday, March 23, 2013

ASURA - The tale which could have been ...


In my childhood dadaji always used to tell me that Ravana was a very learned man, a Brahmin, and THE greatest administrator India has ever seen. ‘Sone ki Lanka’ he used to say, where everyone lived an affluent and contented life. It was an isopolitical society where everybody had the same privileges. Ravana waged a war with Rama in order to achieve salvation. He knew that Ram was an incarnation of Vishnu and by dying at his hands he would achieve moksha. As I grew up I realized that there are always two sides (or more) to a story; however, I could never find Ravana’s. I had also developed a liking for the ‘fringes of the society’ and was very interested in the psyche of such people. However, every literary genius had written about the bravados of Rama and Lakshman and how virtuous they were and vilified Ravana at the same time. I felt that Ravana did not get a fair trial at the hands of our great historians. I always cringed for someone who would go against the tide and put up a good account of Ravana and the fundamentals he stood for.

It was a sheer coincidence when I was browsing through the plethora of books at CROSSWORD that I came across 'ASURA – Tale of the vanquished' and lo my wish was granted! “For thousands of years, I have been vilified and my death is celebrated year after year in every corner of India. Why? Was it because I challenged the gods for the sake of my daughter? Was it because I freed a race from the yoke of caste-based Deva rule? You have heard the victor’s tale, the Ramayana. Now hear the Ravayana, for I am Ravana, the Asura, and my story is the tale of the vanquished. As soon I as I read this text on the back page of the book I knew this was what I had always wanted. I started reading it in the store itself and breezed through the first 40 pages in no time. The premise looked promising and I purchased the book without any second thoughts.

I finished the book in 4 sittings. Blazing through the pages in the first, carefully absorbing every word in the second, browsing through the chapters in the third and dozing off in the fourth. When I finished it the only thought I had was ‘what it could have been’. The experience was more disappointing rather than enriching and it seems like the author Anand Neelkanthan was either not willing to paint Ram in a grey shade or was not sure of how to justify Ravana’s actions which led to the epic war. It did not feel like Ravayana, rather Ramayana through the eyes of Ravana.  It did not have the perspective of Ravana, it just had his narration.

To begin with, the character build-up of Ravana was exceptional. His struggles, his learning process, his unconcealed love for Vibhishana, his rant about the ten basic human emotions in front of Mahabali (the first great Asura king and Ravana's mentor), to sum it all, his human nature was what was fascinating. His outright contempt for the Deva ways, the inherent and rigid caste-structure in their society, the way they treat their women led him to believe in the exactly opposite principles of secularism and egalitarianism. He strived hard to put together an army of Asuras who would finally begin their all-conquering march. The character of Bhadra, a lowly Asura who would do anything for Ravana and who strongly believed in the principles of his tribe was also enchanting. However, as soon as the Asura march began, the novel started losing its hold on me. Ravana blatantly started defying the principles he stood for. His armies looted, raped and plundered the conquered empires. He displayed no attempt on his part to stem the lechery of his army and showed no remorse in the destruction of Vishnu/ Deva temples. Some might justify this over the pretext that he has been portrayed as a human and he might have wanted his revenge (a form of anger, a base human emotion which Ravana did not give up as was asked by Mahabali) over Devas for all the years of oppression. But as soon as he deplored Rama for his killing Bali while hiding behind a tree, my head spun out of control. Here is a man who got his first major break coz one of his soldiers (Bhadra) poisoned the dinner of Kubera (the then Lanka supremo) and his men, while his own army was hiding in the mountains saving themselves from Kubera’s wrath. What right does he have to pass a judgement over the righteousness of another person’s means of achieving success? His being human argument does not hold here as he does not even contemplate his opinion in this matter. Later on the novel, he rapes Mala, a lowly servant and sires a son, Athikaya, whom he promptly disowns for all practical purposes. Did he not rant about women’s right to equality and all? He himself is shown to be secretly proud of his half-brahmin lineage and the color of his skin and considers himself to be superior to other Asuras. I agree that he is being portrayed as a human but is standing up to your principles, even remotely, superhuman? Although he rejects his son sired from a maid, he unflinchingly accepts his wife after she was violated by the vanaras. This behaviour might seem as magnanimous to some but was utterly baffling and contradictory to me. Even his empire which he promised to build on the Asura principles of equal rights to all was not even close to perfect. In fact, it was closer to the modern day India, where the elite and their families enjoy all the benefits of the bureaucracy while the poor continue to live in super-shoddy conditions. The driving force of this economy was the raging and ever-increasing gap between the rich and the poor rather than inclusive growth. Ravana or rather the author on Ravana’s behalf defends his economy in certain illegible and inapprehensible ways. He employs extremely violent ways to curb the insurgencies in his territory. How can such a person be described as a model king and an able administrator is beyond my grasp.

Let’s move on to the perception of Rama which the author tries to create in the mind of the reader. Actually other than carping about the Deva ways, he presents no logical argument to justify the somewhat negative image of Rama he’s trying to create. He himself does not seem sure about his line of thinking. The only reason Ravana seems to hate Rama for is that Rama is the husband of her daughter Seeta AND a Deva. Factors such as Agni-pariksha of Seeta and the slaying of Shambuka, a Shudra who was killed by Rama for defying the deva rule that the ‘lowermost’ caste are not supposed to learn Vedas, do not hold much ground as the former happened after the demise of Ravana and the latter is one of the many versions of this story that the author used for his convenience. I could not gather why Ravana hated him so much. The only points which worked for me towards the end of the story were how Bhadra was revealed as the washer-man who incepted the idea of Seeta’s Agni-Pariksha in Rama’s mind and a small little passage where he empathizes with his king for having his own share of problems. Other than that, the narration of the entire warfare was drab and bland and could have been dealt with in a manner befitting a war of such epic proportions.

Maybe I expected too much out of the novel. Maybe Ravana was not a rebel I supposed he was. Maybe the author is not much of a rebel himself. Whatever be the reasons, this novel simply did not do enough justice to the persona of the enigma we know as Ravana

No comments:

Post a Comment